MSN Admission Critera
Admission to the Indiana University South Bend School of Nursing master's program requires approval by the faculty and is based on the apllicant's qualifications as evidenced by grade point average, statement of professional aspirations, official transcripts, references, etc. A personal interview may be requested. Acceptance into the program is competitive. The following criteria must be met for unconditional admission:
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary coursework.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0* or higher on a 4.0 scale from an NLNAC or CCNE accredited program. *Students that do not meet the GPA may still qualify to apply. Contact Caitlin Vlaeminck at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- GRE testing is not required.
- Copy of current Indiana RN license: Current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Indiana. Applicant must also complete a form statement attesting that there is no action pending or have been taken against their licensure in Indiana or any other state they currently hold or have held a license to practice nursing or healthcare. International applicants not yet licensed by any state in the U.S. will need to submit evidence of passing the CGFNS exam before applying for an RN license in Indiana. A copy of your license must be submitted at the time of application.
- A master's level statistics course is required to graduate. The course may be taken prior (within the last five years) to applying or within the plan of study.
- Essay (goal statement): A 250-word essay describing and explaining professional career aspirations as an advanced-practice nurse.
- Computer skills: Verification of ability to use computer technologies including accessing, retrieving, receiving, and communicating information.
- A test of English as a Foreign Language: Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Internet-based version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which has a speaking portion. The applicant's score must meet the requirements of the IU South Bend Office of Graduate Admissions. International students must apply through the Indiana University South Bend Office of International Student Services.
- Essential abilities: Applicants must agree to the essential abilities policy of the School of Nursing. The policy states that students must demonstrate essential abilities in a variety of areas (judgmeent, neurological function, emotional coping skills, intellectual/conceptual skills, and other behavioral attributes) as well as meeting all progression criteria.
- References: Applicants need three professional references form.
- Criminal background check: Applicants must provide verification of a federal criminal background check within the past 12 months.