The mission of the programs in dental education is to be a leader in providing high quality education, clinical experiences, and interprofessional collaborative opportunities to undergraduate students for future roles as oral health professionals. The program is committed to excellence in the theory and practice of dental hygiene and in the development of competent, socially sensitive, culturally diverse, and ethically responsible professionals.
At the completion of the dental hygiene program students will be able to:
- Exhibit the highest level of professionalism.
- Deliver high quality patient care by the use of sound judgment, critical thinking skills, and evidence based decision making.
- Emphasize the role of the dental hygienist as a patient educator involved in community health engagement activities related to health promotion and disease prevention.
To be able to fulfill the requirements of a Bachelor Degree in Dental Hygiene and promote the overall program goals, graduates of the Division of Dental Education at Indiana University South Bend will be able to:
- Apply didactic information through patient care.
- Demonstrate critical thinking through writing, speaking and listening.
- Adhere to the ethical, legal and professional codes of conduct expected of the dental hygiene practitioner.
- Evaluate the different career roles of the dental hygienist.
- Assess, plan, implement, and evaluate oral health community events that provide solutions to access to care and health education.